This is the third day we have been strongly advised to stay in our homes. We are grateful for a big house in which the kids can ride their plasma cars, race up and down the stairs, and play hide and seek for longer than five minutes. Unfortunately, we have had strong, howling winds the past three days so we can’t enjoy the outdoors and the beach. This makes the “waiting it out” and staying put feel that much more extreme.
Josh ventured out to get gas in the nearby town of Hidd and saw men with masks, swords and clubs forming checkpoints. A friend of ours who lives in another city close by saw lots of fighting outside her window. As most have read or seen in the news, bad scenes are becoming worse. Where we live, a large community of mostly expatriates and foreigners, is quiet for now, and it almost feels surreal that just beyond, there is a war going on.
In addition to Candy Land and The Hungry Caterpillar, we are playing the waiting game. We don’t know right now where we will end up, whether the kids and I will evacuate for a time, or whether we will get relocated to another post, another DOD School. Many are leaving or have left; some of our closest friends here whose twin boys are in Cayden’s class are leaving tomorrow – when I told Cayden last night, he started crying and crying. Broke my heart. He was starting to feel settled here in Bahrain, loving school, enjoying learning Arabic and making good friends. We all were.
Josh’s parents arrived a week ago for a three week visit, but will be heading back to California tomorrow for obvious reasons. We plan to celebrate Cayden’s 6th birthday early with them, which hopefully will help soften the blow of their untimely departure.
I am not able to communicate with my own dad as much as I would like. Our phone conversations are thirty seconds to a minute long, I think for fear on his end of any interference or watchful ears. We haven’t seen him for a few weeks as the bridge from Saudi to Bahrain has been closed. I hope, if we do leave, that we are able to see him one more time before going. For me personally, I can’t help but feel like I’m 15 years old again, forced out by war, and saddened by the inability to give last hugs and friends and family before everyone goes their separate ways.
Bottom line for us is that we don’t know just yet, but we will know more soon. The kids and I could could evacuate before Josh. As of last night, we have permission to leave with lodging and food covered, but if we leave and go to DC (or wherever) and Josh goes to another post we may not get reunited for some time. Tough decisions lay ahead. Or we may not have to make a decision – it may be made for us in the event of a forced evacuation.
Josh and I have faith, faith in a God who before we even came to Bahrain knew of this course the Middle East has taken in the last month. We thank Him for this adventure and the unpredictability that causes us to trust Him in deeper measures. We know for certain, whether we end up staying or going, that it is all part of His plan for the Dinklers, that this is still a beautiful journey, and that we remain in His care.